Tuesday, 13 October 2015

My media evaluation so far

Evaluation

The process

Making my music magazine cover page and contents page was quite challenging but I was also able to gain a few new skills by using software’s that I’ve never used such as ‘Photoshop’ and ‘In Design’. I wanted to be able to create a professional looking magazine without it looking tacky I did this so that when people see my magazine they will take it seriously and actually be interested in what would have been inside if I did create a full magazine and I feel I was able to achieve that by using simple fonts and genre specific images to go with the theme of my college magazine. I also stuck by the three colour house style scheme to enhance my professionalised look using only white orange and black. I researched and used my own general knowledge about magazines to ensure mine was up to a good standard by using things such as a bold masthead to catch the audience’s eye, a few puff to make specific elements of the magazine to stand out such as the price and a voucher information, I also used a barcode to allow people to know that you can purchase it. And lastly I used cover lines for important information that will be accessible in the magazine. In addition to this I was able to then begin to create my contents page sticking to the three colour house style scheme to make the theme consistent within the magazine. I used a bold, large font size for my masthead to make it stand out just like how I did on the cover page; I then used a background image similar but not the same to the cover page to give the magazine some diversity. I listed all the page titles and numbers on the left side of the page allowing the background image to still be visible to the consumer. I kept the image plain and simple not draw away from the information listed on contents page. Furthermore my coverstar is used more than once within my front cover and contents page to show consistency to allow the consumer to know that the coverstar is someone who is presenting the main story and will be featured on a double page spread. Then every week the coverstar would change depending on the main story.

What when well
I think I was able to execute my magazine cover and contents page well as I included all the essential conventions to allow it look as professional as possible. I was also able to use ‘Photoshop’ and ‘In Design’ effectively to help bring my ideas to life due to my software skills that I was able to pick up quickly when taught by my teacher. I also enjoyed using these software’s as now making magazines etc. will be so much easier now I have the skills to do so. Furthermore I was able to be organized in planning my mag and contents as I used my time well to ensure I got everything done in time for it to be handed in. lastly I feel the ‘mise en scene’ of my cover and contents page has some depth and shows that the magazine is about a college and has a lot of genre specific conventions and wording that suits the magazine title.
Even better if
I believe magazine would be a lot better if I had advanced skills on how make a magazine and how to use Photoshop’ and ‘In Design’ to their full ability as this would have advanced the presentation and quality of my work and would have made my magazine stand out from the others. I also forgot to include one element into my magazine that included in my plan which was adding the (date, time and issue number); this would have made my magazine look more realistic and sellable. It would have also let the consumer know when the magazine was published and what issue it was.

Peer assessment
This magazine cover is effective because the use of fonts, colours and choice of text really draws in my attention. there is also wide range of media conventions being used throughout the cover and contents pages such as a bold masthead, use of cover lines and puffs to attract the consumer she has also used a barcode letting me know I can purchase it and her use of imagines compliments the information she has listed throughout both pages, allowing me to know that Ania knows what she is doing and is able to do it well; and as a consumer I would say I would be very interested to read the full magazine after seeing the cover page and contents page.

3 points of improvement

Use time more efficiently to allow enough time for editing and self-analysis to ensure my work is up to standard.
Learn how to use 'In Design' and 'Photoshop'  more to my advantage by playing about with the software.
Lastly i would improve my use and choice of photography to fit well to my genre of magazine to help the consumer have a good idea of what type of magazine i am producing. 

1 comment:

  1. Good evaluation of your magazine, be more specific with goals, aside from time management. So what would you like to be able to do with Indesign and Photoshop? Can you be more specific? In terms of your magazine, the layout works well, you have used the same model for the cover and contents page, without a clear reference to the story on either page, this could be something to work on. Photography and font selection are strengths. Good work.
    Amy

    ReplyDelete